Check or change email settings: Mozilla Thunderbird
Follow these instructions to check or edit the settings for your Plusnet or hosted domain email address.
In Thunderbird, go to Tools on the top bar and click Account Settings...
On the left hand side of the Account Settings window, you'll see a list of the email addresses you have set up with separate sections underneath each.
Your main email settings are in the first two sections highlighted below:
If you want to save any changes you make in this window, click OK when you're finished.
The email address
Here you can check and edit the contact settings for your email address (look below the screenshot if you're not sure what the settings should be).
- Account Name: Enter a useful description of the email address you're setting up (e.g. Mums email). You can put whatever you want here
- Your Name: This should be your name (or the name you'd like people to see when you send them email)
- Email Address: This should the address you're editing, this could be a Plusnet address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a hosted domain address (email@example.com)
You can leave the Reply-to address and Organization fields blank unless you have reason not to. Signature settings are completely optional.
Make sure the Outgoing Server (SMTP) is set to use relay.plus.net
Here you can check and change the email server and login settings for your account (look below the screenshot if you're not sure what the settings should be).
- Server name and Port: For POP these should be mail.plus.net and 110 (as per the screenshot), for IMAP these should be imap.plus.net and 143
- User Name: Make sure you've entered the username for the email address you're setting up (I don't know what this is)
Your security settings should match the ones shown in the screenshot. The other settings are optional but we recommend leaving them as shown above.
Outgoing Server Settings
Here you can switch on SMTP authentication. If you want to do this, please see our Mozilla Thunderbird SMTP authentication guide.
Your email username and password
Setting up for the first time?
- Email username: Your Account username
- Email password: Your Account password
Your Account username and password are the ones you log in to this website with.
Setting up an additional Plusnet email address?
- Email username: Your mailbox username (in the format username+mailboxname)
- Email password: Your mailbox password
If you're not sure what these are, check the email we sent after the new address was created.
This page last updated 26th April 2012