Email setup: Windows 8 Mail
This guide applies to the Mail app for Windows 8. These steps should apply to all versions of Windows 8
Follow these instructions to set up your Plusnet or hosted domain email address.
Before you can use this guide, you'll need to register and log in with a Microsoft account. If you're unable or would rather not do this, we recommend installing and setting up a separate email program such as Windows Live Mail, Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird.
Once you're signed in to Mail, open the Charms bar and choose Settings.
From the Charms bar, choose Accounts.
You'll see a list of the email addresses currently set up. Select Add an account.
Choose Other Account from the list.
You'll be asked for information to Add your Other account.
Before doing anything, select Show more details.
Fill in the your email and account details and press Connect to continue (see below the screenshot if you need help with this).
- Email address: Enter the address you're setting up, this could be a Plusnet address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a hosted domain address (email@example.com)
- Password: Enter the password for the email address you're setting up (I don't know what this is)
Incoming (IMAP) email server: imap.plus.net
Make sure you untick Incoming server requires SSL - the port number will change to 143
Outgoing (SMTP) email server: relay.plus.net
Make sure you untick Outgoing server requires SSL - the port number will change to 25
- Outgoing server requires authentication and Use the same username and passwordd to send and receive email: You can leave both of these ticked
Click Connect to continue.
Your email address is now ready to use. Once you've set up your email address, you can switch between Inboxes through the list at the bottom left side of your screen.
That's all you need to do. If you have any questions about your email service or you experience any problems, please see the Related Articles at the bottom of the page.
Your email username and password
Setting up for the first time?
- Email username: Your Account username
- Email password: Your Account password
Your Account username and password are the ones you log in to this website with.
Setting up an additional Plusnet email address?
- Email username: Your mailbox username (in the format username+mailboxname)
- Email password: Your mailbox password
If you're not sure what these are, check the email we sent after the new address was created.
This page was last updated 6th February 2013